So you want to use your Nokia N95 with the popular PBXes.org service to start using VOIP calls? You have come to the right place. Note that these instructions will most likely apply to all Symbian S60 phones, like the Nokia E65. Also note that in case of the N95, this even works for phones without a SIM card, making it possible to call with those phones as well!
In this article I assume that you already have a PBXes.org account and have set up an extension for your Nokia N95, if not please look at this guide.
Let create the SIP profile to connect to PBXes.org:
Create the profile:
- Open the menu
- Open Tools
- Open Settings
- Select Connection
- Scroll down and select SIP Settings
- Click Options
- Select New SIP profile
Set up the new profile:
- Select Use default profile
- Change the profile name to something familiar: PBXes.org
- Leave Service Profile set to IETF
- Set Default access point to your current Wifi network
- Set Public user name to email@example.com where you substitute myuser for your account name and 800 for the extension number you created for this phone
- Leave Use compression set to No
- Set Registration to Always on to force the phone to connect to the SIP service when starting up (or leave it if you are not planning on using it all the time)
- Leave Use security on No
- Leave Proxy server empty
Set up the registrar:
- Enter Registrar server
- Set Registrar server address to sip.pbxes.org
- Set Realm to pbxes.org
- Set User name to myuser-800 and substitute like before
- Set Password to the password you set on pbxes.org for this extension number
- Set Transport type to UDP
- Leave Port on 5060
Set up internet calling:
- Click Back to return
- Click Back to return to SIP Settings
- Click Back to return to Connection
- Select Internet tel
- Click Options
- Select New profile
- Change the name if desired.
- Select the SIP profiles to use, if you only added PBXes.org it will be selected by default.
- Click Back to “Internet telephone”
- Click Back until you reach the “Tools” menu.
- Select Internet tel.
- Click Options.
Select Connect to service
The phone will now connect to the Wi-Fi network you specified earlier and a globe with phone icon will appear showing that the registration was successful. When you want to call using the SIP account, use Options and Internet call to activate the SIP mode.
To switch to SIP calling by default do the following:
- Open the menu.
- Open Tools.
- Open Settings.
- Select Phone.
- Select Call.
Scroll down and set Default call type to Internet call
Next time you will call a number it will use your SIP account automatically! (Note: if the SIP account fails – no Wi-Fi etc – the phone will switch back to normal calling modes).
Common pitfall: ‘Address not in use’ when you try to call a number (meanwhile you can receive calls fine). This happened to me because I did not specify a Default route for the newly added extension, after making the standard route truly global all was well.